Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Tale of the Tutor

I'm not sure if I told you guys way back when (that would be in August in case you were wondering) that I was approached by the Center for Academic Success at my school to be a tutor for the nursing students here. I do pretty well in the classes and was recommended by a few of my professors. I immediately had the following conversation in my head:

me: No. Why would I want to do that?
my head: Because it's paid...and you need money.
me: But do I have the time? You know how much I stress about school work and grades...
my head: Right, but if you go over all of this nursing information every week, it might help you pass NCLEX.
me: Yeah...but I don't know...
my head: It's paid. You need money.
me: Okay, sold.

So, I agreed to tutor my fellow BSN classmates as well as the ASN students. My boss asked me if I could ever work any evening hours and I said, "Sure! Tuesday evenings from 5:30-6:30!" I'd already be on campus because of my med-surg class and I could just come over after that.

I figured she asked because a lot of people request evening times. Why else would you specifically ask for evening hours if they aren't needed, right? WRONG. I have worked every Tuesday this entire semester and no one has signed up for an evening tutor session. (Okay, 2 nights, but it was the same girl both times!) So ultimately I just sit here and study or twiddle my thumbs and get paid :) Fantastic!

So just a few things while I'm sitting here bored and updating the blog world on life:

  • I'm sure most people in the nursing world know about Kaplan. (A testing tool similar to the NCLEX) Our med-surg kaplan exam was today. I was stressed to say the least. I ended up with a 99 on it :) I exempted myself from the med-surg final! I'm just a tiny bit proud...
  • I have a presentation tomorrow and then it's *essentially* christmas break! (I have one online final Dec. 16th for gero...but come on- it's online!) I am beyond excited about this break. It is much needed!
  • North Carolina lost a great woman today. Elizabeth Edwards was probably one of the strongest women in the news and she passed away today from a 6 year battle with breast cancer. As a nurse and a woman this just broke my heart. I hope she's remembered for her dignity and grace instead of her good-for-nothing, lying, cheating husband.
  • As soon as I get home, I'm going to be getting my bridesmaid's gifts together! I've figured out a very cute way to ask them--I can't wait to give them out! (I also can't wait to show you guys what I thought of! You all gave me some very good ideas!)
  • Last but certainly not least, thank you to everyone who reads my blog. I know I'm not married (yet!), or a mom (again, yet!...for a very, very long time, ha!), and I really don't lead a very exciting life so I feel like my blog is kind of self-centered and I really don't mean for it to be like that! But I so appreciate everyone who takes the time to read it and those of you who always leave me sweet comments. You all are really amazing!
Okay, enjoy your evening and I've got a funny picture for Wordless Wednesday tomorrow:) Here's a hint: Happy Hanukkah!

No comments: