Friday, March 26, 2010

Surgery.

This may be too much information and it may slightly embarrass my mom (Sorry mom!) but I have to tell this story.

My mom has had a knot (a cyst...lots of people get them.) on her head for a few years now, not like protruding, but you can definitely feel it. Earlier this week it became infected. So she went to the doctor and they decided it needed to come out.

So today, I went to the surgeon with my mom in hopes that I would be able to watch the "operation." Being a nursing student, I'm supposed to take every opportunity I can get, right?!

It was so cool! The doctor started by numbing around the area with lidocaine/epinephrine and after a few shots around, the pressure started building up--so much so that the cyst began to rupture and pus started oozing out. Oh. my. gosh. It was so awesome!

Then he took his scalpel and cut this shape around the bump (), took some tweezers and started pulling and cutting with his scalpel. The cyst ended up being about the size of a large pea and she had a gaping hole in her head. Also really awesome! The procedure took all of about 8 minutes! He stitched it up and....are you ready for this??

....told ME to take the stitches out in 10 days!

That may seem so trivial, but to a girl in nursing school, it's really cool, haha :)

I'm excited about this weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to lunch with a few of my good friends and tomorrow night I'm having my family birthday dinner! (I realize this is about 2 weeks late, but I was out of town and then everyone got busy...we figured we should go ahead and do it before April rolls around.. ha!) Then on Sunday my family and I are eating lunch with another friend and her family before our induction ceremony into the international nursing honor society! It's a full weekend and looks like it's going to be fun! What are you guys up to this weekend??!

I hope it's a good one!

Erin

1 comment:

aimymichelle said...

wow that is intense and sorta gross. i am really up to nothing this weekend today i plan to do laundry and stay at home reading a book then the boy will come over later. and tomorrow i have church then i'll have to bake cupcakes with the boy for a bbq on monday.