Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Not How I Thought It Would Happen...

I'd definitely say it's been a while since my last update! I have been studying non-stop for the dreaded NCLEX exam. I took my exam on Monday.

I didn't tell anyone when I was taking the exam. Aside from my mom, David, and a few of my close nursing friends, no one knew. I was so scared I was going to fail and then I'd be embarrassed when people started asking me about it. I just didn't want to even imagine the disappointment!

Unfortunately, some things messed up my "secret plan". I started feeling kind of puny about a week ago. Not totally bad, but not that great. I figured it was just the stress of the situation getting to me. After all, I was studying pretty much 24/7! Well. My symptoms continued to get worse over the next few days and Sunday (the day before my exam!) rolled around and I just couldn't eat and I was starting to feel pretty bad.

I will spare you the gruesome details (and believe me, they were gruesome!) but I ended up in the ER Sunday NIGHT. Nothing like a trip to the ER to keep your mind off the NCLEX!
*David couldn't resist a picture...he also said, "It's Murphy's law--anything that can go wrong, will go wrong..." Me and Murphy aren't on great terms right now... ha!

I was diagnosed with an intestinal bacterial infection. Yuck. But I got my antibiotic at 11:00pm and they told me I wasn't contagious so I would be good to go for my exam in the AM!! I wasn't feel too great the next morning but I went to my test anyway!

75 questions and 60 minutes later I was walking out of there and back to bed! I never thought I would end up in the ER the night before the biggest exam of my life, but apparently I was well prepared. I found out today that I PASSED!!!!!

I am now officially an RN, BSN!!!

Thank you for all of your thoughts recently and now I will have more time to update my blog!




2 comments:

Laura Darling said...

Bummer about the hospital trip but CONGRATULATIONS! That's fantastic news!

mlshowalter said...

You must have been WAY prepared to pass under those conditions- Congrats! Now you can just focus on getting ready for the wedding!